Question you should ask
That's a hard question but a good one. Advertising nothing is never a good idea, what I mean if you do not plan on promoting something that a potential customer might click on and a product they want then no it is not a good investment.
Any digital marketer can get people to hit your site/page it is what you are offering that is important, if you product or promotion is average or lack luster customers will just leave. You pay for hits with no results.
If you place an ad selling $10 bills for $2 dollars your ad will go viral, that is the extreme. If you advertise Great Rooms free HBO at rack rate you most likely will get few hit an no sales. The trick is finding something in the middle.
If you are not willing to promote an attractive offer digital marketing will not help you! Stay away from discounts!
- Limited Time Offer. Buy Now & Save on Massages for 1 or 2 w/Champagne.
- Plan Your Perfect Getaway With Premium Rooms & Unforgettable Amenities
- September special package includes dinner for 2 at Cool Steaks
The old marketing saying applies to digital marketing, maybe more so!
The right product to the right person at the right time!
If you plan on marketing your hotel digitally you should create you own landing pages. Assuming you are branded and don't have a landing page you might end up paying to book someone else property on the brand site.
Brands are in the business to promote the brand not your property. Brands use one size fits all and many features you may want to promote can't be added, at least easily in time for your promotion.
You may have 20 great new photos of your new décor and your brand allows 12 and must be an approved vendor. Brands have been struggling with this lately.
Most brands allow landing pages now, or if you are an independent with your own site you need specific landing sites for your digital promotions.
EXAMPLE: Special Staycation Promotion
Your ad would link to a landing page that gives a room tour, explains your promotion, shows the the area, video, links to your rate code or site and whatever you need else need to sell the promotion.
SEO, Search Engine Optimization is using methods on your site to get organic placement on search engines, many techniques are used to put your site in front of your potential customers, the best SEO is always a lot of hits so be sure to list your web address on everything you do.
Backlinks are very effective in SEO, a backlink is listing you site address on as many related sites as possible. Example: If you allow pets search pet friendly site and get listed. If you are like most you send hundreds of emails out, make sure your signature includes you site address.
SEO is free organic placement and advertisement!
SEM, is a paid search strategy, where you can bid on placement using keywords and more so now phrases. Keep in mind nothing prevents a hotel, bar or restaurant from trying to place on other Google or Bing landing pages with less competition. Example: there is a balloon festival and you are offering an event promotion, work to get your ad placed on a page where the balloon enthusiast search first. Popup example
In the beginning Google's only ranking was with how many links your site had.
Today, Mobile Ready, Accessabilty, Page Speed, Optimized Content, Age, Technical SEO, Social Signals, Verifiable Business Information are all considered.
Google has 92.05%, Bing has 2.83% and Yahoo! has 1.65%.
But consider this, Bings 2.83% might be 80% of your target customer. Bing and Yahoo offer much less competition and is normally much cheaper.
95% of people never make it past the first page. Your chances might be better using the smaller search engines starting out.
Google will always be the best choice If you are trying to place on less populated landing pages like offering your services on event landing pages.
Google gives a ranking boost to businesses in close proximity to the searcher in location-specific searches (ex. “pizza near me”, “St. Louis Restaurants”, etc.).
That is pretty important considering 72% of consumers who perform a local search visit a store within 5 miles of their current location.
Ah Facebook the number one social site on the planet, having said that, yes Facebook is important for marketing, but the organic is a bit overrated for marketing however their Ad Platform will typically outperform others.
What is the difference?
The place where many businesses live and spend hours and hours with little results. Not saying you should not spend time here but is not a very effective way to market at least in the beginning. In Time with good post people will seek out your page and view all the great services and products you offer, not on their news feed!
A post's average organic reach is only around 6.4% of the Page's total likes. There was a marketing-world rumor that this reach only extended to an average of 2% of the page's total likes, but it is more like 6.4%. So, if you have a 1000 likes, your post will be seen by 64 of them. If you post even appears to be an advertisement you may not reach any. Flipping the coin, by posting relevant content you may do much better.
Facebook makes money by advertising and they are smart.
- Remember Facebook is all about social so make sure post relevant to your audience and not always about your product or service, talk about the community, local events. Team up with other businesses on events.
- You can loss reach by posting to much or too little
- Timing is everything, best times: Wednesday, 11 a.m. and 1–2 p.m. Worst day: Sunday
- Designate one person who knows your service or product, is a good communicator and spends time on social networks, younger in the groove!
- Regularly interact with customers
- Post Video - Important!
- Do not confuse Organic with Facebook Ads
Facebook Ad Platform
Not to be confused with Facebook Organic, Facebook Ads typically outperform other ad platforms.
- The CPC is lower, your campaigns will drive high-quality clicks that produce value for your business.
- Facebook ads are often a much more profitable way to market your business than other advertising channels.
- Facebook is a good way to reach a different, larger audience.
- According to a study by Disruptive Advertising
- The clickthrough rate was 20% higher.
- The conversion rate was 70% higher.
- Most importantly, the cost-per-conversion was 77% lower.
- Overall, these campaigns produced a 4.35x better ROI than our Google Ads—Facebook Ads were an unqualified success!